Looking for media training? We offer highly-acclaimed workshops and talks created for scientists and researchers under the SAVVY banner.
Whether you’re ready to talk to the media, or wanting to upskill your science communications for the future, we can help!
- Our flagship media and communication skills workshop for researchers actively preparing to speak to the media.
- Two days. Limited to 12 people. Offered four times a year at locations across Aotearoa.
- Supporting kaupapa Māori and whakawhanaungatanga, this is our Science Media SAVVY programme with focus on both mainstream and Māori media.
- Two days. Limited to 12 people. Fully funded.
- An express, one-on-one media training opportunity offered at selected conferences. Tailor messages, practice on camera and create a 90-second video about your research.
- 15 minutes each, for 15-25 conference participants.
- Free monthly webinar on preparing to talk to the media, and communicating your research to the general public.
- A great place to start for experts who are considering working with journalists, or as a refresher for those who already have some experience.
- Create training to suit your needs, or the needs of your research group or institute.
- From half-day, or full-day make-your-own-content workshops, to large-scale lectures or interactive talks.
- Desk Guides, how-to-videos, and resources freely available online.
- For researchers looking to improve their communication skills in their own time.
- Learn how to create content and make great videos on your research.
- No longer available through the SMC, but can be arranged independently.
Click the name of the workshop to see the form to apply.
|Date||Workshop & location|
|January 25-26||Media SAVVY for Pacific researchers – Auckland|
|April 18-19||Science Media SAVVY – Christchurch|
|July 4-5||Media SAVVY for Māori researchers – Auckland|
|May – July (Q2)||Tailored training – We are accepting expressions of interest until 15 February|
|Date||Workshop & location|
|Last Thurs of each month||Tips for busy researchers – Online|
|December 7-8||Science Media SAVVY – Auckland|
|August 17-18||Media SAVVY for Māori researchers – Wellington|
|June 22-23||Science Media SAVVY – Wellington|
|April 20-21||Science Media SAVVY – Auckland|
|March 16-17||Media SAVVY for Māori researchers – Auckland|
|February 2-3||Science Media SAVVY – Christchurch|
Why choose SAVVY?
We’ve been helping journalists covering science since our launch in 2008. Our experience shows that the best way to get quality media coverage, is to improve researchers’ skills in communicating their area of expertise. Researchers can apply these same skills to improve their research impact, raise the profile of important issues, attract funding and engage with peers and the public.
Our programme’s overarching goals are to:
- broaden the pool of researchers willing and able to engage effectively with an increasingly time-poor media
- encourage scientists to be more proactive and thoughtful about the way they communicate
- improve researchers’ understanding of the media’s needs and motivations
- build awareness and skills that have flow-on benefits for researchers’ careers
- increase research impact by making it easier to engage with and more relevant for the public