The New Zealand Science Media Centre is part of a global network of Science Media Centres (SMCs), all of which aim to inform public debate and discussion on the major issues of the day by injecting evidence-based science into headline news.
Originating in the UK in 2002, the network also boasts well-established centres in:
- Australia: Australian Science Media Centre
- Germany: Science Media Center Germany
- The UK: Science Media Centre UK
- Canada: Science Media Centre of Canada
- Africa: Africa Science Media Centre
- Taiwan: Science Media Centre Taiwan
- Spain: Science Media Centre España
The network encourages critical and accurate science reporting by both helping the media access and understand science more easily, and by training scientists to engage with the media.
All SMCs are not-for-profit organisations that work with the media and scientific institutions within their own countries. Whilst the various SMCs cooperate on matters of content, each centre has its own independent structure and runs its own activities.
Each of the SMCs in the global network has signed up to the SMC Charter underlining our guiding principles.